The University of Bridgeport held its 11th Annual MLK Day of Service on Monday, January 19, 2015, offering 10 projects for the more than 550 volunteers who were eager to help out on campus and throughout the City of Bridgeport.
The largest project, Feeding Children Everywhere, involved 300 volunteers preparing and packing 40,000 meal kits that were delivered to local Connecticut food banks. Each meal kit, which consisted of rice, lentils, vegetables, and seasonings, provides one meal for a family of four.
We also had volunteers participating in street clean-up, visiting with seniors at Harborview Towers, Common Ground community discussions on race and social justice issues and creating a better Bridgeport, painting at a transitional living facility, setting up the All Stars Project community talent show, and working with the kids at St. Mark’s Daycare.
The Day of Service kicked off with an opening ceremony with a song selection by the UB Gospel Choir and keynote address from Dr. Afrah Richmond. Volunteers then participated in their various service projects before returning to the Student Center for lunch and reflections.
Congressman Jim Himes also joined us for the day, meeting with volunteers as they served on the Feeding Children Everywhere project. He even joined in to help pack a few meals.
MLK Day concluded with filmmaker James Desmond’s screening of his 1968 documentary, Free At Last, about Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.’s Poor People’s Campaign and discussing his time with Dr. King.
… MANY THANKS for our Day of Service …
… SPONSORS …
- Corporation for National and Community Service
- Service For Peace
- UB Student Government Association
- UB Student Programming Board
- Focaccia’s Cafe who provided volunteers with a catered Breakfast
- Subway and Honeyspot Pizza who provided lunch
… PLANNING COMMITTEE …
- Southwestern CT AHEC
- UB SGA
- UB SPB
- Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority, Inc.
- Delta Sigma Theta Sorority, Inc.
- Kappa Alpha Psi Fraternity, Inc.
- The Civil Rights Activist Club
- The Sophisticated Love of the Artistic Mind
- Office of Campus Activities and Civic Engagement