University of Bridgeport students invite the community to join them on Monday, January 18, when they honor the legacy of the late Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.by volunteering at local churches, food banks, and other nonprofits before joining a free fellowship luncheon and special viewing of the documentary “Free at Last,” which will be hosted by filmmaker Jim Desmond.
To preregister for the 12th annual MLK Day of Service, click here.
Volunteer check-in begins at 8:30 a.m., Monday, January 18 at the John J. Cox Student Center on the University of Bridgeport campus, 244 University Avenue, Bridgeport.
Service activities will be held at UB and at off-campus sites from 9:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. This year, volunteers are needed to:
- Assemble meal kits for Feeding Children Everywhere, which supports Connecticut food banks
- Help clean up streets around Bridgeport
- Organize the Community Closet at United Congressional Church, Bridgeport
- Make fleece blankets for the homeless
- Visit with residents at Harborview Towers, Bridgeport
- Participate in an community forum, “Where Do We Go from Here?”
Free transportation to and from service sites will be provided for volunteers.
The day concludes with a 12:30 p.m. community luncheon and the 1:30 p.m. screening of “Free at Last” at the Cox Student Center.
Media contact: Leslie Geary, (203) 576-4625, email@example.com