The Connecticut Commission on Culture and Tourism has awarded a $200,000 Historic Restoration Fund Grant to the University of Bridgeport for the stabilization of Cortright Hall, the former Lavina L. Parmly House on Park Avenue.
Funding for the Historic Restoration Fund program is provided by the State of Connecticut under the Community Investment Act.
Designed by architect George Longstaff, the house was built in 1890 and used by New York socialite Lavinia L. Parmly as a summer home. As one of the few remaining homes that comprise the Marina Park Historic District, an area registered on the National Register of Historic Places, the former Parmly House is an excellent example of the Queen Anne-style residences built in the South End during the height of Bridgeport’s Industrial Age.
In 1950, it was donated to the University and renamed Cortright Hall and currently houses the Office of University Relations.
The state grant provides for new windows and continues ongoing restoration at the building. Previously, the Connecticut Commission on Culture and Tourism awarded a $100,000 matching grant in 2008 to stabilize Cortright’s porch and construct a ramp to provide accessibility for people with disabilities.
The next phase of restoration begins in July, when crews are scheduled to replace the home’s windows.
Media contact: Leslie Geary, (203) 576-4625, firstname.lastname@example.org